 Off-Topic / Debate / 8240
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:10:01 GMT

I'm gonna correct myself really quick here, cause I realized I should
restate this-- it kinda sounds like I'm going against other things I've
already said:

Not quite. I say that man CAN be essentially good OR essentially bad.

Instead I'll say:

ALL humans have a CAPACITY for morality.

SOME humans do not realize that capacity, and hence cannot be viewed as
'good' but also cannot be viewed as 'evil'. Kinda like a bug or an amoeba.
We don't associate morality with them, but we certainly don't attribute
'good' to them.

SOME humans realize that capacity, and at some point still act against their
sense of morality. I'd call these people evil/bad.

SOME humans realize their capacity and act on it. And they're 'good'.

And of course most people living today are a good mix between those last
two, generally leaning in one direction or another.

Anyway, the important thing is that humans, without the help of divinity,
develop a concept of good and will (in most cases) want good. Sometimes they
won't want it as much as other things, though. Depends on the person.

I think the rest of what I said holds still, though.

DaveE