 Off-Topic / Debate / 8160
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:15:23 GMT

A few margin notes to chew on...

As to forbidding to marry, Biblical and medieval concepts on the evils of sex.

  Another reason was to prevent the establishment of a papal bloodline as a
competing ruling lineage.

Kindly note the Dark Ages are held to begin with the fall of (Catholic) Rome
to germanic invaders.  Much knowledge was preserved by Irish Catholic monks.

  As well as heretical Arabs, of course.  8^)

After the Reformation they told their people if they read the Bible they >would go crazy.

Papal eddict?  Local yokels?  What?

  Interestingly, there is extant a copy of a letter from around the turn of
the millennium in which a translator expressed his concern that laymen might
misconstrue The Bible's meaning if it were made available in English.
Nothing mentioned about insanity, but that was a long time before The
Reformation, naturally.

It's simply not true. True Christianity is that
which reaches out and helps the poor, the widows, the orphans, the
imprisoned, etc.

Good works.  Catholics.

  And many atheists and agnostics.

      Dave!