 Off-Topic / Debate / 8131
Re: Problems with Christianity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
My point was that Christ's significance is not limited to what He said and
did 2000 years ago, but also who He IS - today - present tense - as in
alive and risen from the dead.  The history of our celebrations on Dec.
25th is a different discussion.

Agreed-- however, I think you missed my original point anyway-- my point
wasn't that Christ DOESN'T have significance any more but that as a physical
event spread by word of mouth (physical) and the bible (also physical)
Christ is finite. There are humans who may be unreached by Jesus, and others
who are. In order to comply with my sense of 'fair', EVERYONE at every TIME
should have the SAME access to salvation. I can't figure out for the life of
me why an infinite being like God would bother with such a ridiculously
trivial event such as Jesus to spread His word when he could spread truth
and faith to EVERYONE the SAME way metaphysically, which is exactly how
'true' salvation happens anyway, right? So what specifically makes Jesus in
any way magical/holy/divine/whatever? Why not just say he happened to be an
amazing guy who figured out God's message and tried to tell people what it
was? Anyway, as I also said in my original post, you could just as easily
blow off my claims by saying that it is not up to us to figure out why God
does things as we (as finite beings) can't possibly comprehend His reasons.
Anyway. Never mind. This is all plowed ground.

DaveE