 Off-Topic / Debate / 8065
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:59:12 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Lorbaat wrote:

Then one of them has another member of their stable of partners go.

What if their stable is empty at the present time?  What if you are the only
one of their lovers they feel fulfills this particular relationship need
(ie,
the others are fun to be with, but not nearly as sensitive or comforting)?
What then?

Then they are no worse off than if they were in a monogamous relationship?

Have you really thought that through?

Person A has to choose between being with Person B and Person C.  He chooses to
be with B.  C now has no one to be with, despite being in a "committed"
relationship.

Yep, that pretty much covers monogamy.  Polyamory/polygamy, though, has Person D
(or E/F/G/etc) also.

I don't see how a person in a relationship with one other person only is going
to get into that situation.

Do NOT resort to familial obligations, or traffic jams, or other things.  Look
at the thought experiment as it stands.  Really think about it.

You haven't thought about what I've been saying, obviously.

Seems to me you proved polyamory is the better choice here - no more negatives
than
monogamous, yet the possibility for more positives.

Then we disagree on the results.

Definitely.  You seem to think that having MORE people that care about you is a
negative.  I certainly don't.

How do you know what I assume polyamorists are?

From your slanted statements?

Not slanted.  Reasoned.  I disagree with you on it, that makes my arguments
automatically wrong and biased?  Because I don't like it, I'm automatically
prejudiced?

The very nature of the question requires you to fill out a binary choice:  "Do
you think it's possible to truly commit to a romantic relationship with more
than one person at a time: Yes or no?"

You have no idea what experiences have lead me to the answer no.  For all you
know, I have been in several polyamourous relationships.  For all you know, I
have tried like hell to make them work, and reached this conclusion.

Then again, for all you know I have never been in any kind of committed
relationship at all.

But just because I have an opinion on something doesn't mean you have any
ability whatsoever to gauge how I reached the opinion I have.

Same goes for family.  We've followed you on a case by case basis, and can
continue
to do so.

Once again, I'm forced to point out that saying something is so does not make
it so.  I would refute the idea that your family arguments have any bearing at
all on being committed to a single person romantically versus being committed
to multiple people romantically.

OK, then it's obvious that you haven't reasoned this through enough.

In EVERY case where you said "pick B or C", my answers has been "pick B or C"
familialy.  In a monogamous relationship, you must pick B or C with NO backup.
Polyamory/polygamy presents the EXACT same choice, EXCEPT that you CAN have a
"backup".

Personally, I'd rather have a "family" member (member of the group) as a backup
rather than friends.  Polyamory/gamy gives you that, monogamy does not.  Poly
(think of the definition of poly, after all) presents more backup/choices than
mono.

You see it as a negative.  That's too bad, as I see it (quite rightly IMO) as a
positive.

How do you commit to 2 children from different marriages at the same time?

I see you can't seem to answer this one, except for "that would suck".  Great
answer.  Monogamy gives you that as the solution, poly[amory/gamy] gives you more.