 Off-Topic / Debate / 8053
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:48:07 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Lorbaat wrote:

Committing yourself to one person requires a level of trust and, well,
committment that just isn't present in an open relationship.  Period.

Bull.  Committing to multiple people requires MORE trust between all involved,

Really?  How?  I see it as hedging your bets, leaving yourself an out.

I think the divorce statistics in the US prove that monogamists leave themselves an
out quite often.

and
can involve more commitment, as you are going against "the norm" in your daily
life.

Don't confuse commitment to what you're doing to commitment to a person.  Once
again, if you are dividing yourself between X and Y (not to mention possibly
seeking Z) you are not fully committed to either X *or* Y.

Straw man.  Choosing between a romantic love and a familial love is NOT the
same as choosing between two romantic loves.

And why do you seem to think polyamory would only involve romantic love?

Uh, what?  I thought the point of polyamory, as most people saw it, was loving
more than one person at a time.

It can also involve FAMILIAL love, which you seem to push as the sticking point for
the cases of "people in need".

If you're just talking about having multiple sexual partners, hey, more power
to you.  A lot of the worries abotu commitment no longer apply.

In
any
case I've heard of, children are from multiple pairings.

Huh?  You lost me there.

A different tack - you married, had kids, divorced, remarried, and had kids.
One
child from each marriage were in the hospital at the same time in different
states.  You'd have to pick one, while your wife/ex-wife (if they weren't in
the
accident) could attend to their "own" child.

Yeah, you're right, that would indeed suck.

That's basically the counter to your argument.

In polyamory, you'd have the SAME "coverage", but possibly with MORE loved
ones to
attend to the sick.

Once again, I'm forced to defer to the idea of having friends that I'm not
romantically involved with give me a hand.

And polyamorists that have BOTH lovers/family AND friends are worse off how?

That's funny, when I need extra help like this I have friends I can turn to-
it
doesn't require any sort of romantic involvement.

But why should the romantic/familial connection of polyamory be considered
"less" than that of friends?  Personally, I'd consider the friends the lesser of • the
two situations.

More or less what?  What are you babbling about?  I simply said that close
friends are capable of forming a support network just as well as multiple
lovers, so claiming that as an advantage of polyamory is ridiculous.

See above.