 Off-Topic / Debate / 8052
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:45:05 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Then one of them has another member of their stable of partners go.

What if their stable is empty at the present time?  What if you are the only
one of their lovers they feel fulfills this particular relationship need (ie,
the others are fun to be with, but not nearly as sensitive or comforting)?
What then?

Then they are no worse off than if they were in a monogamous relationship?

Seems to me you proved polyamory is the better choice here - no more negatives than
monogamous, yet the possibility for more positives.

The only people I have known that were
polyamorous, and not obviously flakes, were building communal group marriage
arrangements.

Ah, but they're not all like that.  Nor does that preclude any of the problems
or observations I've made thus far.

You can't fit ANY one group into a box like that.  Especially monogamists.

Your assessment of people merely being out for a multi-partner
joy ride seems more applicable to people like you seem to be assuming that
polyamorists are.

How do you know what I assume polyamorists are?

From your slanted statements?

While I certainly group people
in search of a multi-partner joyride under the same heading as polyamorists, I
don't think that's what they're all after.

But, as I said above, it doesn't help to alleviate any of the things I've said
so far.  If anything, it makes them worse.

Maybe our differenec in opinion stems from our difference
in
experience.

Once again, you speak out of your posterior- you haven't a clue what my
experience is, nor do I have any what yours is.

But your bias hints at your experience, as you wouldn't be saying the things you
are if you had seen the "better" polyamorists.

You assume too much.

We take your slanted statements and make judgement calls on them, just as everyone
does all the time.

As well as you can.  It seems that you keep referring to what your partner(s)
need from you, but it has been my experience that partners are generally out
looking for what they can do for one another.  The angle is giving and not
receiving.

And what I'm asking is, who do you choose to give to, when more than one
partner at a time needs it?  Obviously, if only one partner at a time has a
need, you're fine- and clearly, if no partners have a need at a given time,
you're free to give to whomever you want.

But part of committing to another person is committing to help them when they
have a need- and if you've committed to more than one person, it's possible
that you will find yourself in a position where you must choose to fill one
person's needs and not another's.

Same goes for family.  We've followed you on a case by case basis, and can continue
to do so.

The kind of giving you're talking about is selfish giving- giving for the sake
of making yourself feel good.  There are times, in a fully committed
relationship, when you have to give because your partner needs you to.

And there's something wrong with doing so if it makes you feel good too?

That's
not always convenient.  And I would really like to know how you would solve it
if both these people you claim to have a deep and committed love for need you.

So if there is a group of lovers and one needs consolation and one
needs celibration, then the group can split up as needed.

And once again I ask, what if both lovers think you are the only one in their
"stable" (an interesting term to use- generally reserved for beasts of burden
and prostitutes, I'd point out) that can fill the need they have at that time?
How do you commit to being there for both?

How do you commit to 2 children from different marriages at the same time?

Despite your squirming, the answer is pretty clear- you can't.

The answer is even more clear that you can't either, and Healthy Polyamory gives
each person a better chance of getting the support they need over monogamy.