 Off-Topic / Debate / 8050
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:27:00 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

Especially, how can you know whether it's possible for someone else?

Committing yourself to one person requires a level of trust and, well,
committment that just isn't present in an open relationship.  Period.

Bull.  Committing to multiple people requires MORE trust between all involved, and
can involve more commitment, as you are going against "the norm" in your daily
life.

It happens to monogamous people too, though:
how do you choose between your spouse and your child in those circumstances?

Straw man.  Choosing between a romantic love and a familial love is NOT the
same as choosing between two romantic loves.

And why do you seem to think polyamory would only involve romantic love?  In any
case I've heard of, children are from multiple pairings.

A different tack - you married, had kids, divorced, remarried, and had kids.  One
child from each marriage were in the hospital at the same time in different
states.  You'd have to pick one, while your wife/ex-wife (if they weren't in the
accident) could attend to their "own" child.

In polyamory, you'd have the SAME "coverage", but possibly with MORE loved ones to
attend to the sick.

On the other hand, polyamory increases the resources for help (and
celebration) when one of the group needs it. My partner has AIDS and believe
me, I am very glad I'm not the only person he has to turn to when he needs
help.

That's funny, when I need extra help like this I have friends I can turn to- it
doesn't require any sort of romantic involvement.

But why should the romantic/familial connection of polyamory be considered "less"
than that of friends?  Personally, I'd consider the friends the lesser of the two
situations.