 Off-Topic / Debate / 8040
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:27:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson writes:

I snipped it away because in spite of what it said, your use of the term
"copping out" seemed to me to show that you *did* see something wrong with
it.

As I said to someone else, I'm not going to get bogged down in a semantic
argument.

You didn't answer my question about the "copping out" comment, either.

This:

"Your use of the term "copping out" seems pejorative to
   me: I personally have no interest in looking for one person to fill all my
   needs, and I don't see that that's anyone else's business. Nor do I want to
   try to fill all my partner's needs, nor does he want me to."

is a question?

Have you tried it, Eric? Presumably no.

Really?  And how do you reach that presumption?  Simply based on the fact that
I don't view it as the enlightened epiphany that some polyamorists do, or that
I reject the idea that it's a sexual orientation?  That's a big jump of logic,
there.

Kevin, you know nothing about my personal life, past or present, and it really
has little bearing on the conversation.

Especially, how can you know whether it's possible for someone else?

Committing yourself to one person requires a level of trust and, well,
committment that just isn't present in an open relationship.  Period.

It happens to monogamous people too, though:
how do you choose between your spouse and your child in those circumstances?

Straw man.  Choosing between a romantic love and a familial love is NOT the
same as choosing between two romantic loves.

On the other hand, polyamory increases the resources for help (and
celebration) when one of the group needs it. My partner has AIDS and believe
me, I am very glad I'm not the only person he has to turn to when he needs
help.

That's funny, when I need extra help like this I have friends I can turn to- it
doesn't require any sort of romantic involvement.

eric