 Off-Topic / Debate / 8034
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:04:48 GMT

In Missouri a whole host of things including: anal sex, oral sex, funny
positions, etc. are illegal.

I'm sure.  You're right, in most states they are.

When was the last time anyone was convicted of them, though?  When was the last
time someone was *arrested* for them?

On the other hand, you
don't see anyone in power campaigning to free people's minds either.

Given the state of politics in this country, it's pretty clearly not in the
politician's best interest to say "I am whole-heartedly in favor of having oral
sex."  A politician who went on some sort of crusade to get those ridiculous
laws off the books would be committing professional suicide.  So they remain
there, even if the politicians go home and break them themselves.

To call it copping out implies that they're not doing what they're 'supposed'
to.

Maybe you use the phrase differently than I do, but I'm not going to argue
semantics.

And even if you
don't really mean it like that, your choice of language still reflects an
attitude.

And that has what bearing on anything?

or 2) really enjoying having open relationships for the more
obvious reasons.

Yeah, I tend to attribute it to this.  But that's a good thing, not a bad one.
More fun is good as long as the cost isn't too high.

I didn't say it was necessarily a bad thing.  But by the same token (and this
is my only real point in any of this, so listen closely), I find it difficult
to really beleive that a person in an open relationship is as serious about
that relationship as someone who looks for, and finds, one person to be with.

Note that I am NOT saying that all monogamous relationships are automatically
more meaningful than any open relationships, even.

but I do think that
trying to pass it off as "enlightened", or, even worse, some kind of inborn
sexual preference (like being hetero-, bi-, or homo- sexual) is just a load
of
denial.

And on exactly what evidence would you base such an untenable opinion.

On plenty of discussions and reading about polyamory, mostly with (or written
by) polyamorists.  I just don't buy it, sorry.

eric