 Off-Topic / Debate / 7865
Re: Critical Thinking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:59:58 GMT

Hey Dave!-- I just thought of a question to which I would like to hear your
response: What do you think about scientists who believe in God?  Does
believing in something unprovable put into question their worthiness as
scientists? Or is there some sort of "out"  from adherence to the scientific
method with respect to religion?

Lar was already kind enough to answer before I had a chance to respond,
and he summed it up pretty nicely for me (thanks, Lar!)  I'll elaborate just
so I'm not guilty of a "me too" post.
Many scientists certainly do believe in a god or ultimate something-
or-other, even if it doesn't adhere strictly to Christian, Hindu, or Animist
principles.  Two of the most famous quotes by Einstein himself are, to
paraphrase (at the risk of slightly misquoting):

"I want to know God's thoughts--the rest are details."
"I refuse to believe that God plays dice with the Universe."

Interestingly, Hawking has countered this latter quote (which was an
expression of distaste for uncertainty) by stating that God not only *does*
play dice with the Universe; he plays them at every moment for every event.
In addition, Hawking has declared outright that his work is not intended to
disprove God's existence, and in fact he alludes to "God" being revealed
through the equations of physics.
I would say, therefore, that science and religion are not mutually
exclusive, in that one can pursue actual science with vigor while
maintaining devout Faith in God.  I would further qualify that statement by
saying that science and religion do not fit in one another's realm; the way
science seeks to explain things is not the way religion does, and vice versa.

They most certainly do, although it's nice to see that you're answering your
own questions...
I sense that you are edging closer to God.

-Jon