 Off-Topic / Debate / 7827
Re: Do market based societies select for virtue? (was Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 17:46:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:

[Friedman ignors] the huge benefits to one who cheats well.
(Hitler is a case in point)

Advantages like having to commit suicide alone in a cramped little concrete
bunker surrounded by people who have been praying for you to die?  When I state
it like that, I'm not sure why more people don't want to cheat big.

However, to say that there is an economic benefit for society, or
a societal benefit to behaving "good" is to ignore
1) the point about *individual* human depravity...

If you meant that some people are sick and throw a wrench in the works, then
you'd be right.  But it sounds like that's not what you mean.

Humans are individually
prone to act in "bad" ways - they know how to and do behave "badly" from
birth... Now why is that?

It sounds instead like you mean babies are born wicked.  And that is absurd.
Small people are taught how to behave poorly by large (often) role-models.
When a human is truly an infant, all they want is to be warm and full of milk
and bathed in love.  As they turn into a real human, they develop and if they
are shown bad behavior then they think that's how to be.

2)the fact that society behaves in ways that are good due to numerous
influences - many of which are driven by those acting under "good" belief
systems or the force (restraint) of laws and punishments.

I don't follow the meaning in this.

Chris