 Off-Topic / Debate / 771
770  |  772
Subject:
Animal reproduction (was (of course?) Terms and Conditions Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:27:12 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

I disagree - the majority of mammals have sex only to procreate.  The females
of most species will only allow sex when they are "furtile".  The males of most
species still have the ability to determine when the female is in "heat".

Only the higher-order mammals have sex for pleasure.

The way I read this, it sounds like you think the critters know that
reproduction is the outcome of their sex act.  I don't think that's so.
I agree that it's instinctually and hormonally driven, but I think the
female allows and the male engages in intercourse because it feels good.

(If this is an instance of us talking past eachother, and I can't see it
because I'm on the inside, let me know and I'll shut up.  :-)

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA