 Off-Topic / Debate / 7667
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 02:07:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

Bill Farkas wrote:

For the record, as to atrocities, it is my opinion that any action which is
diametrically opposed to the stated principles of a system cannot be then
said to be "in the name of" said system. The Bible clearly states that our
actions betray our actual beliefs, thus nullifying any apparent claim to the
contrary.

Bill

For the record, the point was any religion can provide "high moral
grounds" for the people or not. You said several times without religion,
we could not have a social life, since there would be no ethics, since
there wouldn't be a supreme being to punish us afterwards. History
proved countless times, religion can not provide a high moral ground for
the society, and this is not related to any verses of Koran or Bible.
The thing that I talked about people can act badly, and still can claim
they are believers of a religion, even they can say they act since this
was the want from the god they believe. Whether they will be considered
true believer or not, does not make any difference.

Selçuk

You're right, religion in a generic sense will not necessarily bring out the
best in people. I agree that it quite often brings out the worst. I am a
bigger critic than anyone on the problems in Christendom, I could go on for
hours about the problem and what I believe it's causes to be.

But I *do* think it makes a big difference whether or not these kind of
people can be said to be "true believers". They affect the perception of the
public on those who are sincere, which is at issue here on LUGnet all the
time. I refuse to be lumped in with that sort.

I could provide many Biblical evidences for my argument that those who do
not truly practice it are not part of it.

Look, it's the same thing as saying that all Muslims are terrorists. Sincere
Muslims are very offended by that sentiment, and should be!

Bill