 Off-Topic / Debate / 7654
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:55:24 GMT

Jon Kozan wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
John Neal wrote:

A Christian does good in response to God's love.  God loved us first and our
response is to reflect that love as best we can to others in our daily
lives.
That is why Christians do good.  Why an atheist does is beyond me, but if >> anyone knows, please do tell.

An atheist believes there is no God.  An atheist may have other beliefs,
such as "people are intrinsically good" or "I am intrinsically good."

Also, doing good as an atheist could be more self-rewarding than doing
good as a Christian.  An atheist might think:  "Look at me.. I'm doing
good because I'm intrinsically good, whereas you're only doing good
because of the fear of hell."  (I would use the phrase "holier than thou"
but it doesn't quite work here. :-)

Which leads me to ask if you are an atheist?
If you are I'd ask you to consider the tenuousness of your position.
(see my thoughts on that in another thread of this...)

Saw it.  Nope, I'm agnostic.  Not as rewarding as being an atheist, because
maybe I'm being good just to hedge my bets.  :-)

/Eric McC/