 Off-Topic / Debate / 752
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 05:51:27 GMT

Carbon 60 <carbon60@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:37360D55.36235A63@bigfoot.com...

Homophobic doesn't appear in the dictionary I checked.

Well it wasn't in mine - a very new word - I had to check an • internet
dictionary.  It's a slang word now but it won't be soon - it's used • too
much across the globe - IMO that's not really slang.  OK, lets • define
slang - anyone?

You asked--

Merriam Webster's Deluxe Dictionary, 10th collegiate edition), 1998:

1Slang: (n., origin unknown, first appeared in use in 1756):

1) language peculiar to a particular group.
2) an informal nonstandard vocabulary composed typically of coinages,
arbitrarily changed words, and extravagant, forced, or facetious
figures of speech.

Homophobic: adjective form of homophobia.

Homophobia: (n.) Irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination
against homosexuality or homosexuals.

Homophobe: (n.) A person characterized by homophobia.

I tend to think that the PC definition of homophobe is anyone who
doesn't totally accept and whole-heartedly embrace homosexuality as a
valid lifestyle.  If you don't like homosexuality, you're
automatically a homophobe.  It's thrown around quite liberally by the
liberals in the U.S.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?