 Off-Topic / Debate / 744
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 13:55:39 GMT

Carbon 60 <carbon60@bigfoot.com> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:
Mmmmmmm.... dunno that I "fell" for anything.  I'm pretty sure I
understood what the poster meant.

Well that was the usual mis-meaning for the word homophobic you see.

Well, imo, since "homophobic" is a slang term, and one intended
primarily to demonize another group of people (ones who, in many
cases, deserve to be demonized, to be sure), I don't think that a
mostly literal interpretation of the etymological roots of the words
could be called a "mis-meaning".

I heard someone on TV the other night say that another person was
"making bank".  I'm a smart guy, so I assume, from the context, that
the person is earning money, but that's not what the person said.

Slang can be fun, but it isn't always understood to mean what the
person using it intends.

Well I go by dictionary definition always the safest bet - I think mine
was para-phrased  a lot but I couldn't think of any other way of putting
it.

Homophobic doesn't appear in the dictionary I checked.

Wonder if this is fading into .off-topic.debate?

Wouldn't have thought so, I could easily make it so but I don't want to
get a bad name around here.

Ah, what's in a name?

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide