 Off-Topic / Debate / 7272
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

Life is complicated, and I'm not necessarily going to give you pat answers to
complicated problems.  I'd say that sniping is warranted when one is • protecting
an invaded homeland, but wrong when the target is a column of injured • soldiers,
for example.

What if you're protecting your homeland and you're sniping wounded soldiers?
Those folks are going to get medical attention and come back with guns.  And
when they do, they're likely to be mad.  So why not kill them now?

Reasonable limits have to be set somewhere.  One can err by taking "what-if"
scenarios too far when considering actions.  The idea of killing wounded
soldiers just because they *might* become able-bodied seems morally-repugnant.
Better to take them prisoner-of-war.  This is a scenario in which mercy should
triumph.  The difference that I recognize between killing an injured soldier and
executing a guilty criminal has not escaped you, I am sure.  I admit that I have
taken your objections to the death penalty to heart - while I presently see no
moral imperative why execution is not a just punishment, the just claims of
mercy must be part of the equation.  You have raised a pertinent issue regarding
whether or not I have neglected the virtue of mercy in my zeal for the virtue of
justice.  That is not something that I can answer quickly.  I feel very strongly
that certain crimes do indeed warrant death, but I am willing to reconsider the
part that mercy should play in a criminal justice system.

Like circumcision?

Are you playing devil's advocate, or do you believe that circumcision is
really a moral evil?

Basically, it has been an ignorance-promulgated practice in our
society for quite a while and
now that's changing.  It would be hard for you to find a doctor under the age
of thirty who would strongly promote circumcision.

I don't necessarily disagree - I think that you make a very good argument.
I'm not yet convinced that it is wrong for a male to be circumcised,

It's not wrong if that's what he wants.  Why not wait for him to make the
decision on his own?

No arguments there.

james