 Off-Topic / Debate / 7252
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:52:26 GMT

All of the following is written from the assumption that "drugs are Bad,
and if you take drugs, you've done a Bad Thing."  Debating that assumption
should be an entirely different thread.  Preferably, one that is threaded
over a few beers.

Steve

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott A wrote:

It is my job as a parent to protect my family from drugs.

I'd reword this as, "As a parent, it is my job to teach my kids about
drugs, why people are attracted to them, why they are habit-forming, what
can result if one becomes addicted to them."

It's also my legal responsibility to prevent my kids from breaking the law,
which means I must make sure they do not use illegal drugs.

Having the police
help me is a good thing, in my own opinion.

Having the police help doesn't do a darn thing that's useful, in my
mind-set.  Other than public drug-education programs, the police aren't
going to do anything to train my kids - that's my job.  If my kids
willfully use drugs, I have failed in my job as a parent.

It might be that my kids are never exposed to drugs.  If that's the case,
and they don't use simply because they didn't have a chance, then I've
still failed as a parent.

Steve