 Off-Topic / Debate / 7229
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:39:56 GMT

   Thanks James,
   You kinda scare me when you start off with the word Simple... none of
this has seemed simple yet, and if it's so simple to someone else, I
question whether they have given it enough thought.
   However, thats a pretty good point that I had not heard before, or I
conveniently forgot it (I'm not very well informed about this topic, as I
made a decision on it years ago and never listened to the other side since -
I think that is common with this particular topic, so shutting our ears to
it probably isn't the best policy).  So there is some study that shows that
a fetus won't live if seperated from the host too soon?  Even with the fancy
and expensive machines?  What about test tube babies - what is that?  I
thought those were very viable at a very early age, much less than 24 weeks.
You might argue that it can't live on its own and I'd agree but a lot of
babies born at 8 or 9 months won't live without really good care, machines
or medicine.  So, I don't think that answer works for me, at least I have to
give it some more thought.  I appreciate the response though, James.

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message

  In my mind the inalienable rights we have granted to human beings • should
apply to ALL human beings, including the very, very young (unborn).  I • think
these rights should take precedence over someone else's wishes not to be
"hassled by the man."  Please tell me a) why your desire not to be • troubled
by the powers that be is more important than the right to life of another
human being or b) what evidence you have that a fetus younger than an
arbitrary number (16 weeks?) is not a human being.

I'll take you up on this one John D.

Simple.  If the child is born at 16 weeks (4 months), it will NOT be • viable.
Therefore, I see no problem with it.  I think that up until around that • point
(consider premie babies, they die mostly at under 24 weeks or so...)

Therefore, they are not a separate life form, until they are viable _on • there
own_, without the mother's direct support.

James