 Off-Topic / Debate / 7197
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:31:02 GMT

<topped>
The general principle is that one has the right to do as one wishes,
<tailed>

Sounds selfish to me.

So, exactly how little do you wish to have the right to do as you please?

Would you be OK with it if your government decided that sales via online
auction houses were illegal because they were funnelling money out of the UK
and into the US, and so your eBay use were curtailled?  That would be fine?

What if children were all wards of the state, and you at most had visiting
rights at their indoctrinatin camps?  That would be OK too?

What if your tax rate were raised from 50% to 90% so that you wouldn't have
enough spare income to buy most of your groceries, so that the state could
provide your food, thus guarenteeing that you got a balanced diet?  Wow, that
would be great too?  Amazing.

What if the state implanted a device in the brains of all newborns that
prevented hostility from ever appearing in their personality?  That would make
your nation the most peaceful place in all of history.  How would that be?

Like John Neal explained, those things will never happen here, because we're
willing and able to sweep the people trying to make that happen away in a tide
of blood if that's what it takes.

I happy to live in a society where, no matter what my circumstances, I have
the right to education, healthcare and housing. I also happy that the state
meddles in my affairs and invades my privacy to make sure I am giving my
children access to these things. I'm happy that if I were ever become
addicted to drugs, the state would intervene to protect me and my family.

Great!  No, really.  I'm glad for your continued happiness.  I'm glad that the
situation you have is working out for you.  But it's not for me.  It seems not
to be for most people around me.  But it is good that the world is big enough
to accomodate us both.

There are those in the UK who'd like to cut back on what the state provides,

I feel sorry for them.  Do they know that if they want to escape those of you
who think it OK to steal their goods, they can come here and have a bit less of
their goods stolen?

They only want to take from society, not give to it.

Presuming for the moment that you are by association saying that about me too,
I'd hasten to point out that I want to pay a reasonable fee for any services
that are provided to me.  I don't want any kind of a free ride, and I suspect
you know that.

So I'm glad you keep reciting your LP dogma, as forces me to remember just
how lucky I am.

We'll keep it up.

Chris