 Off-Topic / Debate / 7195
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:27:50 GMT

This issue aside, I can't agree with this. Goverment should also protect us
from ourselves. If one were to decide to take ones own life, one would
expect "government" to get involved.

Not this one.  Suicide should be a right.

So if knew a pesron was about to take their own life, you'd let them on the
basis that you consider they should have the right to do so?! I'd tend to
try to stop them.

Honestly, I could see it going either way.

My grandfather-in-law was really sick and stocked up on poison with which to
end his life.  I knew that was going to happen.  I never once considered
intervening.

If my son, as an adolescent, seems suicidal I will seek pschological help.  But
I think that I'd let him take his life before I would have him committed to a
mental health institution.  I won't know how I'll really react unless and
untill that situation arises.

In general, I will err in virtually every way, on the side of letting people
decide what to do with their own life and stuff.

Chris