 Off-Topic / Debate / 7185
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:11:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:

Again, an impass.  I believe that some things really do actually
(objectively) call for punishment.  Justice demands it.  You do not • believe
that Justice Exists, so we are speaking different languages.

James

  What do you mean justice exists?  Thats preposterous.  Justice doesn't
exist.  If it did there wouldn't be the words right and wrong.  Well there
wouldn't be the word wrong anyway.  If justice existed we wouldn't have a
justice system.  Life is unfair.  Life is unjust.
  So the goal of a justice system is to deliver a fair and expedient remedy
for any injustice.  But thats what he said.

Perhaps I didn't phrase my sentiments clearly.  Perhaps I should have said
that some actions are inherently just and some are inherently unjust.  I
believe that Justice is the embodiment of certain moral principles that are
objectively true, and which therefore have a binding claim upon our conduct.
There is indeed right and wrong, but Justice is that which affirms and
upholds that which is right.  Justice Exists, and evil does not nullify it.
Justice is the pursuit of the right, the refusal of wrong, and the
insistence that inherent rights of individuals are held secure.  Justice is
all the more pertinent in the presence of evil, but principles of justice
would still exist even in your utopia.  Admittedly, I am building my
arguments from a set of presuppositions (which I believe are reasonable and
philosophically supportable), but which nonetheless; a)may not be true, and
b)you may not be
starting from, and will therefore reach other conclusions.  Thus said, I
still assert that Justice exists because certain moral truths objectively
Exist, and are every bit as real (though admittedly intangible) as the most
solid physical elements that compose the universe.