 Off-Topic / Debate / 7169
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:47:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

Who is Kyle to say what "sex is supposed to result" in?  Sex is supposed to
result in sex, and pregnancy sometimes occurs as well.

Yup.

From a purely evolutionary perspective, sex is meant to result in
pregnancey and thus the transfer of genetic material to insure
species survival.

So?  This does have, and should have, NOTHING to do with our law.  From the
same reasoning, we evolved for the sole 'purpose' of concentrating resources
most effectively.  As Neal Stephenson has put it, we are the "ultimate badass."
So perhaps we should make stealing legal too since we're not designed
genetically to oppose it.

99% of why people have sex is because it feels good.  (We've had this argument
about other animals too, and no one agrees with me, but I think you will about
people, right?)  That's all.  Just because it feels good.  That is the
'purpose' of sexual intercourse.

If you freely engage in sex with
the knowledge that conception of a new life is imminently possible, then you
have freely taken upon yourself for the responsibility of care which that new
life that you have freely created requires.

I agree with this point.  But maybe we disagree on what responsibilities one
signs on for.

IMO, you're in a philosophical pinch by asserting that the true purpose of sex
isn't really about reproduction.

Not at all.

Why in fact, do we have sex?

Because it feels good.