 Off-Topic / Debate / 6996
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:33:48 GMT

Do You Want Smaller Government?

Ayup!

by Harry Browne

I just returned from the poll.  He got at least one vote in district 8 of NJ.
My rotten traitorous wife voted for Gore because she doesn't want Roe v. Wade
overturned. ;-)

If you do, the first step toward getting it is
obvious:

You must stop supporting those who are making
government bigger.

Maybe, maybe not.  See below.

You can't go east by moving west. It's a physical
impossibility.

Unless you go far enough.

You can't make government smaller by rewarding
those who make government bigger. It's a political
impossibility.

No.  It isn't.  Some of us -- the minarchists of America -- believe that the
only way to get where we want is to encourage the bloat while stealing
everything we can from it until it collapses under it's own weight and then
using our money and influence to rebuild a proper government.  One with
stronger safeguards for the future of liberty than our original constitution
did.

Only when you begin asking for what you really
want do you have any chance of getting it.

Only when you take what you want, do you get it.

Al Gore wants to make government bigger. He's
proposed a long list of new government programs.

Duh!

George W. Bush wants to make government bigger.
He's proposed an equally long list of new
government programs to show that he's as
compassionate as Mr. Gore -- as though government
taking your money is an act of compassion.

But at least he has the decency (?) to lie about it, claiming that he favors
smaller government.

Pat Buchanan says he wants a return to
constitutional government.

As a political comentator, he's brialiant!  No, really.  And funny too.  But as
a presidential hopefull?  Kookoo, kookoo, kookoo.

* I want to get the federal government
_completely_ out of every area where it's made
such a mess -- health care, education, law
enforcement, welfare, foreign aid, corporate
welfare, highway boondoggles, farm subsidies. Not
only are these programs unconstitutional, they do
tremendous damage to our lives.

Macho Flash.  He'll never get elected with that strong an opinion.

* I want to free you immediately and completely
from the Social Security system. I want to sell
off government assets to finance private
retirement accounts for anyone now dependent on
Social Security -- so you and I and every other
American can immediately stop paying the 15%
Social Security tax.

Without explanation, this statement alone should scare the bejeezus out of 65%
of the population.

* I want to end the nightmare of Prohibition by
stopping the insane War on Drugs.

While obviously a good idea, only like 20% of us seem to get it.

* I want to restore completely your unconditional
right to keep and bear any weapon

I already bear that right.  If he wants to hang people who try to get in the
way of it, I'm all for that.  (Well, maybe not really hang.)

Isn't that what _you_ want?

Yes, of course.  But it requires lots of explanation, not just these
one-liners, to get the sheep to agree.

Can I win?

Not this time.  But if you'd infiltrate one of the winning parties, such up as
much pork gravy as possible and spew a toned down version of all this, then you
could.  In four years.  Unless Ventura runs.

Even though we Libertarians may not win this year,
every vote I get will be an endorsement, a
statement, a declaration on behalf of smaller
government.

And ultimately that's why I voted for him.

Thanks Larry,

Chris