 Off-Topic / Debate / 671
Re: which threads, ethics (was: Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:42:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, bendyarm@aol.com (Eric McCarthy) writes:
[...]

However, I think the principle of whether posting to an auction
update thread is considered rude, is still one that would be
good to resolve.  Contrary to what some prefer, I think a guideline
from Todd would be advantageous and save some future ill will.

I noticed that Tom Stangl has done a similar post as mine,
and there will be more in the future.  If there is a consensus
or a rule that this is rude, then people will avoid doing it.
If there is a consensus or a rule that it is fine, then
people won't complain about it.  I don't see a consensus
emerging, so I think a rule is appropriate.

I would advocate only the inclusion of an FYI note in the FAQ pointing out
that this sort of thing is viewed as irritating by some people and viewed
as natural by others, and further that doing this has historically been
met with criticism.

--Todd