 Off-Topic / Debate / 6613
6612  |  6614
Subject:
The view from my living room...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:36:23 GMT

L-O-N-G rant follows

I purchased my little web box a couple years ago to learnmore about the
internet... I soon found that the internet is not a place or static picture,
it is a dynamic, growing, breathing entity ... sometimes more of a monster
than a measure of technological or cultural sophistication.

J Sproats web page "on her majesty's secret death squad" was one of the
first webpages I ever saw- I enjoyed it thoroughly. It blew me away that
there were many other AFOLs.  I was overjoyed to discover rtl at that
point...I read it each morning at 5 am as I began my day.  From there I
discovered Lugnet and revelled in the discussions and links... I still do.

As I have stated before, in the real world, I am quite rough around the
edges and given to boisterous behavior and dark humor at the local pub and
parties.  I am quite opiniated and frequently sarcastic (especially after a
few dark beers)

Suffice it to say, I have been around and I am an adult...

HOWEVER...

My usual behavior is NOT ACCEPTABLE HERE ... (as stated officially in the
TOS, as can be observed in normal discourse here, and in keeping with
acceptable traditions of conduct around people under 18)

I view LUGNET as a community that encompasses members from all over the
world and of all ages.  I realize that my more familiar demeanor in public
and in recreational venues is not appropriate here.  When you are new to a
community, school, country, etc., shouldn't you put your best foot forward?
Don't you respect others who conduct themselves similarly?
(when you go out to dinner, do you insult the other diners to their face?)

In the earlier debate in .space, I stated that a COMMUNITY has rules of
conduct/behavior and that violations should result in being SHUNNED/BANISHED.
This is not a personal attack or insult; this is how society has functioned
since the beginning.

The content of the message that started all of this was nothing more than a
"stunt" or "prank".  The reasoning of the author is circular and ultimately
a nonsensical self-fulfilling prophecy.  If we are to believe the offender,
the comments to jude were intended to do nothing more than upset the
community to prove a flawed assumption.  How noble a cause.

The reason why all of this debate insued is not from a lynch mob mentallity
or group think paradigm, it began because one individual violated the morays
and rules of discussion here.  Others noticed this breach of etiquette and
commented.  There is no conspiracy or fascist regime persecuting original
thought.  It was the chosen manner of critique that I (and others) took
exception to.

You can have a revolution and not spill blood.  You can change minds and
elicit thought and discussion without pulling stunts or being offensive.

The problem is compounded by the fact that mr. M  lacks standing and
credibility based on his conduct in the larger internet community.
Therefore, any possible meaningful contributions will always be tainted by
past behavior.

In addition, I think the priciple offender of the day and many of us have
forgotten one VERY IMPORTANT POINT:

Although LUGNET is a community with many voices, it is different from usenet
or other internet venues.  LUGNET was started and is maintained privately by
Todd and Suze (and now some others).

LUGNET IS NOT A PUB OR X-RATED CHAT ROOM...
ACT ACCORDINGLY.

I view it more like a library or family gathering, I try to be on my best
behavior in someone elses's home.

I consider LUGNET to be Todd and Suze's on-line home. They have graciously
invited us into their parlor to participate in discussions and share
information in a friendly manner.  Whether you are a paying member or not,
you are not entitled to "upset the household" because you want to "express
yourself".  As hosts, Todd and Suze can regulate behavior in any way they
see fit.

I sometimes have to restrain my comments when discussion is heated;  that
is what mature discussion is all about... (and why off-topic groups serve as
a great release valve to blow off steam)  I read LUGNET from the couch on
the TV in my living room, so in a way, we are all visiting each other.  I
will be respectful to you in your home and I hope you will all do the same.

                      John