 Off-Topic / Debate / 6401
Re: a public response to Mr. Stangl's comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:55:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Adam Myers writes:
i agree entirly this has gotten to the point where it has just become stupid
and rediculously non-productive.  I think that this is something that should
be dropped altogether since it seems to be causing nothing but frustration to
all parties involved.  Once again my apologies to the auction newsgroup in
this matter.  the balls in your court now Tom.  Are you going to make the
sensible play and call this at a draw?

I think where you cross the line that causes you to be seen as a troll, is with
those last two sentences.  Up to that point, your post was without controversy.
Admirably mature even.

However, (as a reasonably disinterested observer) those last two lines appear
to be nothing more than a cheap shot, designed to antagonize and provoke a
response.  Kind of like asking someone if they have stopped beating their dog.

Wouldn't your point have been made, much more strongly, if you had ended the
post before including those sentences?  I think both parties believe they are
right, and maybe both sides "read into" what was typed more than what was
intended.

Written language is much more open to being "misread" than spoken language.

I don't see either party as being "wrong".  My interest in the matter is mostly
academic, in that I "try" to educate people using the web, to be careful about
how they word things, taking into consideration this possible
misinterpretation.  (more exposure provides more examples/experience)

re: the quality of finish question...
my personal opinion (and that is all any of us can offer) is that I doubt
that the precision of the "industrial finish" can be matched by hand, BUT
am open to the possibility that a gifted craftsman could prove me wrong.
(I KNOW that I could not do it.) Please note the caps are for emphasis,
since I can't produce italics.  :?)

I am not accusing anyone of anything, merely proclaiming my perceptions,
and inviting feedback/discourse.  More than one person I have communicated
with has mentioned that they hadn't "seen things" that way. (ever notice
how most of out metaphors are visual, and thus don't map well to written
discourse(and "they" said the web would be the death of the written word,
and here it is driving renewed efforts to improve our writing skills))
So we can take something "rediculously non-productive" and turn it to a
productive end.

(Larry likes footnotes, I like parathetical expressions.)

What do you think?
:?) bishop