 Off-Topic / Debate / 6398
Re: New Pricing??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:43:40 GMT

Part of that probably has to do with the fact that shipping from
Enfield, CT to Canada is cheap and fast.  Shipping from Europe (Denmark
and Switzerland) to Australia is both expensive and slow.  The cost of
shipping has obvious effects.  The speed of shipping impacts prices
because it reduces LA's ability to react to shifts in popularity of sets
and increases the amount of warehousing they need to do.

-note, a fair number of the special parts for Can/US/South America are made in
Denmark and Switzerland...have you ever thought how many of _any_ lego piece
you could cram into a container???

Believe it or not, it would cost _less_ to ship a set to Aus. from say New York
(via Canal), than to get one to me here in St John's.  For it to get here, it
has to go about 2 days drive, be unloaded onto ship (in container or flat),
reloaded onto truck then delivered.  That's assuming it came direct, I know
they actually go via Toronto first...if not Markham, then Toronto, then
here...it depends on the distributer likely, if it is HBC, then it will get
transshipped 2x, not sure about TRU.

So, the set ends up traveling almost 10K km before it gets here to St John's,
and the only saving might be if it does some of its traveling on train...trucks
are expensive to run.  I think you would find that the cost to get it to the
transshipment point would be less going to Aus.

James P