 Off-Topic / Debate / 6311
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:01:34 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff Jardine writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I've posted my experience on this a number of times: curiously there's rarely
a response.  Wade through the latest (down around the middle):

In at least one case, the lack of response is entirely because that person
(me) finds the entire debate pointless and tiresome.

Then why bother responding if it is pointless and tiresome?  I'd rather you
continue ignoring me or address the other point.  Why don't people respond?
Because I'm bringing up something that directly refutes their claims and they
feel uncomfortable with it is all I can guess.  If they all tried the same
experiment, there might BE a point.

It is a non-issue.
Further responses (such as the one I am currently constructing) are a waste of
breath, because it is clear that no one is going to change their mind.

People rarely change their mind in a debate.  They think about it later on and
reflect.  That's when minds are changed.

Luke (Mark Hamill) is pale.  Lando (Billy Dee Williams) is not.  Yellow is
pale.

Chromatically speaking, and in my eyes, yellow is closer to brown than it is
to white or pink.

Which is how you view it.  I understand that.  The problem is that not all
people view it that way, if only because there is more than one element to a
color.  You key on its hue (yellow).  Others key on its value (relative light
and dark).  Both are valid in their own way.  The problem is that you are
denying that the other viewpoint has validity, or somehow that viewpoint (and
not yours) is political, or racial, or whatever term you want to use.

Bruce