 Off-Topic / Debate / 6293
Re: Put the issue to bed (was: who's feelin the black pack?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:05:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Sid Mark Dinsay writes:

First of all, Han, Leia and Luke represent... HAN, LEIA AND LUKE.  Far as I
can tell, Han is a Correllian; Leia, from Dantooine; Luke, from Tatooine.  And
that's just the PLANETS.

  Since you were kind enough to point out that minifigs are not real people, I
will return the favor by reminding you that everyone who provides the
visualizations of Han, Leia, and Luke are in fact from Earth, and in any case
you're missing my point.  Since the minifigs do represent specific individuals
who in turn represent humans, it is not unreasonable to associate these
characters with physical traits witnessed in everyday life.

As for ABS "flesh" color: so WHAT if they're yellow?  If Lando, Mace and
Panaka are released--and c'mon, how significant was Captain Panaka?  Minifig-
worthy?  I don't think so!--and they're *yellow*, NO ONE will be able to play
that stupid race card anymore.

  Am I playing the race card?  I don't think so, since I'm not flinging
accusations about injustice or segregation; I'm merely wonderinging, as are
many others among us, how Lego will deal with this issue, since they will run
into trouble even if they choose, so to speak, not to deal with it.

Let's just play with our PC-free Lego, shall we?

  I see.  Now it's the race card *and* PC-ness.  Let's consider this from
another angle; if Harrison Ford only had one arm, but the Han minifig
incarnation had two because "all minifigs are that way," would people notice
the discrepancy?  And before anyone observes that "race" is obviously not the
same as a missing arm, I'm making a point; physical traits of characters are
represented in caricature form in minifigs, so it is not unreasonable for
consumers to wish somewhat more consistent representation.  On the other hand,
Anakin is undeniably shorter than Qui-Gon, but not in minifig form...
  Many have suggested that minifig yellow represents the neutral, uniform skin
color of Lego, and I'm happy with that explanation.  Others have correctly
pointed out that Pacific Islanders and Native Americans are adequately
represented by the same color yellow, and I'm happy with that, too.  If Lego
does release a yellow Lando, however, I would be greatly interested to hear
Billy Dee Williams' opinion on the matter.

     Dave!