 Off-Topic / Debate / 6287
6286  |  6288
Subject:
Recent Events, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:49:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This originally started as an opinion piece on the recent events with the
"the list." (I know I'm stepping up to my turn to beat the dead horse...)
But in the end, this turned into a larger work that ends up touching on the
state of the hobby.

This is my first post in lugnet.debate. Be kind. If this belongs somewhere
else (lego.direct?), let me know.
--------------
First some admissions - I read "the list". I was midly pleased. But I also
felt as if Christmas came and went. I would have been more excited if there
was new train stuff [1] or a triumphant return of a full town selection. And
yes, rumors are fun.

But I feel Lego had every right to make their legal requests to LUGNET and
other Internet resources. And I feel Todd was right in complying.  Here is
why  - along with other observations:

1. The Product Belongs to Lego
It does not belong to the fans, consumers or public. And can they choose the
way to disseminate the product information.

Even if the information was in a vendor computer, I'm sure there are legal
agreement between Lego and the vendor indicating that the vendor is a
partner with Lego and it is held to certain confidentiality and trade secret
agreements.

Assuming it was by vendor mistake (info entered into the computer too early,
lax security, etc) that the product list was made public, why does Lego not
have the right to continue to control the information about their product
line?

We might not agree with their reasons for wanting to control it, but I feel
they have the right to do it.

2. LUGNET Is a Private Server
LUGNET is a private server and belongs to Todd L. You can argue all you
want, but Todd has the right to do what he has to do to keep the service
going. And this includes deleting messages.

If have seen arguments that because it is private, a corporation cannot
touch it. Yes, they can and will if they feel treatened. Even if the legal
reasons are not compelling, a company can keep someone tied up in court
until the cash runs dry. Right or wrong, you can be bled in court.

I don't want to put words in his mouth. But I think in the long run, Todd
understands he will be serving the Lego community better by working with
Lego, not against them. And I applaud him. (My membership contribution is
coming soon!)

3. The Internet Perception Problem
I think a large part of the frustration with recent events has to do with
consumer perception. The consumer, especially advanced computer users,
expect to have access to every bit of information in an _extremely_
accelerated time frame.

And on top of that, some consumers feel it is their "right" to know
everything. Not true.

4. Corporate Use of the Internet
Corporations have been slow to embrace the Internet as an information and
product pushing channel. [2] Rather than jumping in with both feet, most
have preferred to slowly study and develop their strategies.

Due to the Internet time often feel the companies suffer from lethargy,
don't care, are dumb, etc.

True, companies that don't eventually come around, will die. But taking the
proper amount of time to develop a new communication and product channel
will not kill a respected product giant with very, very deep pockets. [3]

Also, keep in mind that developing a new communication channel involves many
aspects of the business and is a HUGE undertaking - just on the technical
end we have the web site, online orders, consumer interface guru (BradJ) and
integration with existing marketing programs. And there are internal
politics and turf wars to work around. So give them some time.

I think recent events show that Lego is working to embrace the Internet as a
sales and information medium. Although it is coming along a bit slow for
most of us!

5. Look at the Big Picture
Again, it is frustrating because we are used to posting an email and getting
a response in two hours. We see postings from LD and wonder why there is a
month between each. ("Don't they read LUGNET every day!")

I, for one, am very pleased that Lego is making moves in the right
direction. Look at what we have seen in the past year alone :

- official recognition of LUGNET by Lego (huge)
- a real person from LD who posts on LUGNET and sheds official light on
issues
- new, big models with adult prices (TIE, XWing, the Statue of Liberty)
- bulk sales (another huge step, desired for years)
- LUGNET logo in the Mania magazine
- LCAD and train club participation in Legoland promotions

Each of the events above have had their criticisms with how it was done,
what it costs, etc. But look at the overall picture. Right now it is a great
time for the hobby.

And I'm sure eventually we will see
- a return of town, pirates and other non-Jr. sets
- better trains with Mindstorm-type advances
- more bulk parts

Have patience.

So those are my thoughts. I will be in my room, working on a 60 stud wide
building for my train layout. Flame away!

Bryan Kinkel

notes:
[1] I would have been thrilled if a train line looked like Ben's April Fool
catalog.

[2] Look at early online toy companies. Quick to jump on the bandwagon,
early to fail (and be sued!) due to lack of and established infrastructure.
ToysRUs, after one failure, is coming back with a vengeance.

[3] Another two years of Town Jr. might. ;)