 Off-Topic / Debate / 6276
Re: Responsible Hunting (was Re: We are what we eat. Or is that "whom we eat?")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 14:44:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

And after all that, I'm quite certain that some other mamals
are quite a bit more intelligent than the average person is
willing in their ignorance to give credit for.

OK, I should have stated "giving SOME animals".  I agree with the above, • obviously
some animals are quite intelligent.  But I certainly don't put deer, fowl, or • beef
cattle in their ranks.

OK, my bad.  I had been using the deer (even prior to your entry into the
discussion) as an icon for the other animals in general.  that was sloppy of
me.  I am willing to disucuss any given animal's capabilities individually, but
that's not reall what I was doing.

By the way, in a small flock of chickens, the individual birds exhibit clearly
differentiated personalities.  So does that indicate the kind of stupidity that
you're claiming?

A human
male is not irretrievably forced to mate when driven by testosterone,

I knew some guys in college who seemed to have missed that day in the what • it
means to be human class.

If they are irretrievably FORCED to mate, that sounds like they can't stop • having
sex no matter what, leading to sex in the streets, on the sidewalks, etc, etc, • or a
lot of women defending themselves.  I certainly didn't see that in college.

OK.  And the person to whom that was written took it correctly as humor.  You
came in in the middle.  But you're correct, that's not technically what I saw
either.

one is for simple enjoyment, the other is hormonal,

So when a creature has sex "for hormonal reasons" (whatever that means) they
don't enjoy it?  Hogwash.

Of course not, but the impetus behind one is quite different than the other.

Nope.  The reason I engage in recreational sex is because it feels good (in a
whole complex of ways).  Ultimately the reason a deer engages in sex
(recreational, hormonal, whatever) is because it feels good.

You seem to think humans are more animal than they are

For the record I don't.  :-)

Prove otherwise.  Your statements certainly make it seem that you think humans • are
simple bags of hormones with no self will at all.

The opposite is where I'd prefer you to see me.  I think that animals are more
"human" than you do...not that humans are more "animal."

Chris