 Off-Topic / Debate / 6229
Re: Responsible Hunting (was Re: We are what we eat. Or is that "whom we eat?")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:00:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison writes:

thus filling it's role as prey.  That's just the natural order
of things; predator kills prey to eat, prey dies to feed predator.
No, that deer didn't do anything to me, but that deer was put on
this earth for a purpose; to feed other animals, and eat plants.  That's its
role.  If it wasn't meant to be hunted and killed (by a person, coyote, other
animal), then what possible purpose could it serve?

Hi again,

I think that this will forever be our stumbling block.  I presume that you base
these theories on a holy text of some kind rather than observable phenomina?
(Except, of course, the bit about the relationship between prey and predator
which is a truism.)

I would say that the deer were not 'put' on earth, they were born just like us.
And thus, there is no 'purpose' as such.  Like humans, they have the ability to
make whatever purpose they want for their life.  Mostly all they'll do is try
to live as long as possible and procreate.  That purpose -- being good enough
for them -- is good enough for me.

I guess my ultimate finding from this and the discussion with Bruce and Larry
and the one a couple months ago, is that you all consider yourselves predators
while I do not think the same about myself.  It is an interesting distinction
and I wonder from where it arises.  I'm glad to have thought about this little
tidbit, even if it was obvious from the beginning for some of you.

Chris (Who doesn't want to be predator or prey -- and believes that can
happen.)