 Off-Topic / Debate / 6181
Re: Flesh eaters stole my brain (was Re: Why is cockfighting bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:21:51 GMT

This debate has been churning along (very) nicely (and quite civilly, as these
go, I think the same old players are getting better at debating nicely)
without too much input from me since I ducked and ran (:-) but one nugget here
got me to thinking. Not sure I am making any definitive statement, take it as
grist for the mill and that's all.

But not all animals; how about insects?  If we could grind up a zillion
drosophila and harvest the protein, would we, by your paradigm, be morally • able
to eat it?  Somewhere else on this thread it was asserted that fruit flies
don't feel pain--if not, and since their responses (as many insects') are
autonomic, then is there any moral wrong commited in consuming them?  That
might be worth considering--the ants in an acre of topsoil outweigh the soil,
so they'd provide a nearly limitless source of nutrition to those willing to
consume them.

Cite please! More ants than everything else put together? Even earthworms?
Wow. That doesn't sound right, somehow. Amazing if true, though.

  C'mon Lar--don't cloud the issue with a call for facts!

  Actually, I'll have to recheck my info.  Maybe it *was* earthworms, and
they're not half as crunchy as insects.  To digress re: Ant Weight, here are a
few tidbits I came across:

from http://www.oxy.com/rainforest/insects.htm
"The weight of ants alone may exceed that of all vertebrates (including all
birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians) by eight times in a typical lowland
tropical forest."

from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2203crea.html
"They [ants] outnumber us a million to one, and the total weight of ants
matches that of the entire human race."

And Papa Asimov wrote a zoological essay proclaiming "the total mass of ants
exceeds that of all other animals combined."

  Anyway, if we lack sufficient ant mass, let's start on the annelids!

     Dave!