 Off-Topic / Debate / 6165
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:12:01 GMT

I tend to think of nerves and some kind of processor as being needed to really
consider it sensation.  But maybe it's fuzzier than that.  I'm not sure your
plant-based examples count.  A rock gets hot when the sun shines...is the rock
sensing the sun?

The box jellyfish -- posessing eyes but no central nervous system -- sees a
danger and swimg away from it, but does it perceive it?

Well, we can clearly state that plants don't _know_ anything about their
surroundings.  They don't feel pain.  They don't have purpose or drive.  They
autonomically react to chemical etc. stimuli.

It's a matter of degree.  The brain is simply a well-tuned bundle of cells
that automatically reacts to chemical stimuli.  And a root *will* seek out
nutrients.  A stressed tree *will* go into shock.  It's the same behavior as
seen in life forms of any level of complexity.

Cheers,
- jsproat