 Off-Topic / Debate / 6040
Re: smokers sueing tobacco producers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:13:59 GMT

Hi all,

The big headline at cnn.com is about the Florida lawsuit against big tobacco.

Can anyone justify this?  I am among the folks who think that since everyone
knows smoking is dangerous, so how can the producers be held accountable for
the decisions of the users.

I think if there is any merit to suits, it's by non smokers rather than
smokers. Our national health costs more because smokers are passing their
increased costs on to us, which isn't fair to us, of course. (However, one
could argue that smokers dying off early is what is keeping the social security
bubble from popping (for a little while longer, anyway) so I dunno.)

++Lar