 Off-Topic / Debate / 6036
6035  |  6037
Subject:
smokers sueing tobacco producers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:01:34 GMT

Hi all,

The big headline at cnn.com is about the Florida lawsuit against big tobacco.

Can anyone justify this?  I am among the folks who think that since everyone
knows smoking is dangerous, so how can the producers be held accountable for
the decisions of the users.

I believe the world would be a better place if the tobacco companies, farmers,
and users all stopped or starved...I have strong feelings about this...but I
think that it is unethical to sue the provider of a known danger.  Having
access to known dangers is part of being an adult.  I guess this goes back to
the thread on personal responsibility that stemmed from the AIDS discussion.  I
wish people would just take it on the chin and admit that it's their own darn
fault, rather than seeking to rip off a big corporation just because they're a
faceless monetarily substantial entity.

ramblingly,

Chris