 Off-Topic / Debate / 5899
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:31:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:

However I don't think the answer to this is to arm the entire population under
the Second Ammendment.

For what it's worth, the 2nd doesn't provide for arming the population.  It
merely allows the population to arm itself.  As I understand it the Swiss
government actively arms the population they seem to feel that it works quite
nicely.

I'm sure the intention was pure (lets go git them baddies)

Actually, no.  The intent behind the 2nd was to create a situation where the
populace would have an easy time rising up in armed revolt to expell a corrupt
government structure.  And through routine violations of the 2nd, the
government(s) have disallowed that degree of arming.

but do you honestly believe that your country is a safer place when
everyone is allowed to walk around with a gun?

If my country were a place where everyone were allowed to walk around with a
gun it would be a safer place than it is now.  But I'm not sure if that's the
question you were asking.  I'm not at all sure that my country is the safest
place in the world.  (At least in the sense of personal safety from other
citizens...it probably is the safest nation from external threat, not not due
to our side arms.)

the problem is that now guns are an integral part of American society

What do you mean?  I would say that the right to keep and bear arms is an
integral part of our national philosophy, but more people than not don't own a
single firearm in the US.

you probably all need guns to protect yourself against the guns

Not really.  I am a firearms owner, but I have never needed to protect myself.
This is true for most people.

Her in Australia, I hope we can avoid that situation.

Me too.  I strongly (morally) support the ability of other nations to do other
things.  Good luck.

Chris