 Off-Topic / Debate / 5810
Re: Vegetarianism etc. (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:57:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

2. If you could chose to be reincarnated as either a human or a horse, would • you
not chose to return as a human, because in examining the inherent qualities of
the 2 creatures, the human is endowed with faculties that render it able to
experience an altogether Better existence?

Nope.  I would chose the human option, but not because I believe that it is
capable of experiencing a "Better existence."  I'm familiar with it, I know
it's OK, I'd go with the known over the unknown in this case (unless I had
reason to believe that there would be further reincarnations, in which case I'd
experiment).  I am not at all convinced that humans are capable of being
happier than horses.  If such a thing can be measured at all, we haven't done
it, and I have no experience to suggest that your claim is correct.

By stating that inherent rights do not exist for any creatures, and that • rights
are constructs of the powerful, you seem to take the teeth out of your
position.

I have had that problem for years.  But just because it is sticky, doesn't make
it not so.

If rights are no better than those who have the strenght to assign them, and • if
said rights have no greater pressing claim than personal whim or arbitrary
utility, then what grounds do you have to assert that people who willingly
support the way in which we make calves anemic in order to enjoy their meat • (as
veal) are evil?

It seems that you have assigned the term evil to mean the violation of rights.
I think of evil as being the enjoyment of others' discomfort (or such a degree
of unconcern that it's equivalent to enjoyment).  I don't think the fact that
rights are a fiction cause the ideas of good and evil to be meaningless.  In
fact, I don't think the idea of rights is meaningless, but it is important to
understand that there is no universal force that hands them down.  (Except that
you probably disagree.)

As such, evil does not exist because to call an action evil is
by nature to compare it to a set of objective and true standards

I don't think so.  For instance, behavior that has been considered evil has
changed over time.  Are you suggesting that these objective and true standards
have drifted too?

Granted, you are certainly a kinder person, but one
could argue that such kindness would also be an arbitrary whim; you are simply
doing what you have the right to do, and those who torture baby animals are
simply doing what they have the right to do.

Again, I don't see a problem with this.  Rights are not the measure of
goodness.  And kindness seems like an integral element of the good/evil
continuum.

How can we really convince
the unkind that kindness is objectively better when we can depend upon no
principles before which even the most powerful stand guilty?

We can't.

I'd prefer to  say that we should be kind to animals because
animals are qualitatively the sort of creatures that deserve
kindness; and this principle is every bit as objective as
the principles that state that a square must always contain
4 right angles; such things just Are.

I just don't think these two ideas are at all the same kind of ideas.

Chris