 Off-Topic / Debate / 5741
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 01:34:15 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
Please precisely answer with yes or no: Is it appropriate in a mixed • economy
allocate social program dollars based on which lobbying group contributes • the
most or makes the most noise on TV?

Your wording requires some clarification.  "lobbying group contributes the
most"?  In what sense?  If the lobbying group is funding the pool for • social
programs, then yes they should have some say.  Just as one can earmark
donations to the United Way to a specific charity, a lobbyist group that
contributes funds to a programs pool should have the capability of • earmarking
those funds.

Ummmm.... which lobbying groups are you talking about that do anything • other
than stuff money in politicians' and parties' campaign funds?  I think its
pretty clear that's what Larry was getting at, not talking about people (or
groups) giving money to the government and saying "here, we'd like to help
people with this problem - earmark my/our money for it."

(getting ready to duck and run)

Another point to raise about the issue of lobbyists getting to decide how
money gets spent:

If one feels that lobbyists should have influence proportional to how much
money they spend, shouldn't the average tax payer also? The ideal of course
is a "one dollar/one vote" system, at which point of course one has no real
need for a governmental budget. Just spend your dollars where you feel they
should be spent. If you want someone else to make the nitty gritty decision,
contribute your dollars to an organization or organizations which closely
match your ideals (which is what I expect almost everyone to do, even Larry
:-).

If the lobbyists want to contribute X dollars for Y cause, why not
contribute the money directly to the organization(s) who are working on Y
cause.

Frank