 Off-Topic / Debate / 5723
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 20:57:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher Tracey writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

The data is too inconclusive to go off half cocked
and wreck an industrial civilization over a chimera.

Yes, but when you combine the possible existance of greenhouse-gas induced
global warming with pollution, landscape fragmentation, eutropification, the
current mass extinction, and countless other environmental problems- it may
be enough reason to wreck an industrial civilization.

No, it isn't.  And the mob agrees.  There is no way that Joe Average is going
to give up his petrol and plastics and lots of electricity even if it does mean
that we'll leave the Earth a burnt-out husk.

These are real problems
that are happening right now.  They are all related and the base cause of them
currently is rampant consumerism/capitalism.

I think that there are specific and complicated causes for each of the
eco-disasters in each location where they are going on.  I think that it is
hard to call a small farmer burning the amazon to feed his cattle so that he
can live until next year "rampant consumerism."  I think we need to put a stop
to it.  But I don't really blame the people at ground zero.

And IF there's a problem, there are better ways of tackling it than going • after
greenhouse gasses. Lots and lots better ways. Many of THEM have the side
benefit that you end up with an industrial base in space as a result, • instead
of a wrecked industrial base on the planet and nothing in space.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.  Can you explain?

I believe that Larry is suggesting (correctly, I believe) that if we convert
much of our industrial base to orbital (and further) facilities, we can manage
waste through a much healthier paradigm.  And the benefits of all the research
that went into it would be more valuable than the internet.

Chris