 Off-Topic / Debate / 5670
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 22:57:22 GMT

[snip]
Please precisely answer with yes or no: Do people need to take
(moral/financial) responsibility for things that they choose to do, things • that
entail risk, or don't they? Whenever I pose an analogy that more clearly
delineates that question, you refuse to answer.

Please precisely answer with yes or no: Is it appropriate in a mixed economy • to
carry out an cost benefit analysis of various social programs and make the
decision of which to fund based on which apparently have the most benefit?
(leaving aside the question of whether we should have a mixed economy in the
first place, because we already know your answer, yes, and mine, no)

Please precisely answer with yes or no: Is it appropriate in a mixed economy • to
allocate social program dollars based on which lobbying group contributes the
most or makes the most noise on TV?

My answers, yes, yes, no.

You'll get my answers once you have answered my question (which YOU have
refused to answer and I am now asking now for the THIRD time) - Most AIDS
victims become disabled, lose their health care benefits and become reliant on
Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare.  Is it more fiscally responsible to fund
AIDS research for maintenance drugs and/or a cure to keep victims alive and
working OR to stop funding AIDS research forcing the victims to join the
SS/Medicare/caid rolls?

Based on your words so far, yours SEEM to be no, no, yes. If you agree with my
answers you've got some recanting to do. That's assuming you don't squirm away
again with generalities you accuse me of not responding to. Stay on point.

Not squirming away, just waiting for a response to my question that, so far,
you have squirmed away from twice.

Stay on Point - who brought in the common cold - which I wouldn't even bother
to acknowledge?  Who, below, now again raised the dead horse of "There are no
free goods and no ducking responsibility."?

Wrong again, I find people who bass every debate they have on their wallet
heartless.

Yeah Lar, right, you have more compassion.  Not when every opinion you
hold/state is based on how it affects your wallet.

If that's how you choose to characterise it. I prefer to (more accurately)
characterise it that I base every debate on the notion of personal
responsibility and the acknowledgement of cause and effect. There are no free
goods and no ducking responsibility. You've never admitted that point.

Acknowledging that, and acknowledging that in order to make the illusion of
free goods appear to be happening so that one can appear "compassionate" in
front of the TV cameras means that we are taking those goods away from someone
else at the point of a gun does indeed make me more compassionate than you. My
compassion is for the deserving, while yours is for the rotter. Therefore mine
is far superior to yours.

++Lar

Wrong again Lar, you say "yours [i.e. my compassion] is for the rotter".  Well
Lar, I have compassion for both the deserving and rotter.  I have compassion
for all.  You have compassion ONLY for those who meet YOUR criteria for
deserving compassion, and that is unjust and inhumane.