 Off-Topic / Debate / 5623
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 19:19:24 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Oh please. Do the math. To me, "flooding" means a change in sea level of 20
feet or so. That's not going to happen. There isn't enough ice even if both
icecaps melted down to nothing.

well, i didn't do the math but some other researchers have:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/factsheet/fs133-99//gl_vol.html

The maximum sea-level rise from the complete melting of these bodies of
ice would be about 264 feet- that's about flooding times 13 by your definition
above.  There has be a lot of melting before sea level will rise
that much.  However, there is significant melting all over the world currently.

Also, part of the Ross Ice Shelf collapesed about a month and half ago.  It
resulted in the largest iceberg in recorded history.  That will contribute a
little.  Furthermore, much of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet(WAIS) is
grounded below sea level.  This could actually surge into the sea by
the changes initiated by a relatively small change in global sea level.
That will produce a rapid sea level rise of somewhere around 8 meters(~25 ft).
Similar events happened before in the geologic record.

Sea level changes just don't make the shoreline a little higher- they
cause erosion, salt intrusion into the groundwater, etc.  And when 25%
of the nation's population lives within 10meters height of the present
coast- i would say that's something to worry about.

check the map on this page(again) http://pubs.usgs.gov/factsheet/fs2-00/

The apocalyptic visions of the gloom and doom crowd are not going to come to
pass. Relatively minor shifts in temperature or in sea level DO lead to
dramatic changes elsewhere but we are not going to see palm trees in
Yellowknife any time soon.

of course you aren't, many tree species can't migrate to new ranges fast
enough.  i think there was a study done with yellow poplar or birch that
demostrated that.

And yes, it DOES matter why. It matters a lot. Because if we decide not to care
why, and decide that we have to stop using carbon fuels, but actually it is a
climate shift that we are not having any impact on with our use of fuels, we've
given up on an industrial society for nothing.

there are some other good reasons to give up on carbon based fuels...
but that's topic for another debate.  But, I counter that there is a lot
of evidence that CO2 does contribute to greenhouse gas warming.

I'll give Chris's words some credence but you're just scaremongering, try not
to believe everything you read.

Shiri may be a little overreactionary, but she has the general idea.

-chris