 Off-Topic / Debate / 5583
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 14:57:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter White writes:

If you want to really get worried, think about mosquito-borne diseases, in a
world that is slowly warming, these are the growing concerns.

Agreed. Fortunately, ours isn't (slowly warming). At least that's what the data
indicate when not interpreted by "junk science" advocates.

An insect-borne disease is much more of a problem than a sexually-transmitted
one, not to mention our growing reliance on an ever lessening number of
antibiotics.

THIS one, now this one is something to worry about. Keep messing with the drug
company profit models in large markets the way the US considered doing, and the
UK already does, and you won't have any drug company R&D to find new ones
either.

++Lar