 Off-Topic / Debate / 5579
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 01:51:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:

But back to the issue I was addressing - tax money and how the government
should be spending it.  I know one person who has died from AIDS.

How fortunate for you.  I can think of 25 off the top of my head, but in
actuality, its more like 75 that I personally knew.  Of the first friends
(20+) we made when we moved to NYC in 1982, there are four - FOUR - of us still
alive.

I have
several family members who have died from various forms of cancer (and not the
self-inflicted lung-kind - I don't count them, although I have a few).  I also
know people afflicted with parkinsons, alzheimers, and other horrible
diseases.

As have I.  I lost my father to stomach cancer, my other half's mother to
breast cancer and his brother to throat cancer.  In fact, I just lost a nephew
to severe diabetis 2 weeks ago.

Not to be cold about it, but each of them knew what to expect once they were
diagnosed.  Each of them knew the path before them.  When you know the enemy
you fear it less.

AIDs patients have no idea what foul preditory ailment is coming next.  It is
the most complex virus known to man.  It hides, it morphs itself.  The weaker
your imune system becomes, the more infections take hold.

So yeah, I'll just say it - in _my_ book, if the government is
going to be spending money helping to fund disease research, there are quite a
few that rank higher than AIDS.

Using your rational, money spent on diseases of the aged should be cut as well.
Why spend money to prolong the life of people on Social Security?