 Off-Topic / Debate / 5557
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 19:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel writes:

None of these diseases have infected, and will kill, a quarter of the people • in
many African countries.  Why is almost everyone ignoring this fact?  These
people are the reason we should try to find a cure.  I doubt many of them have
access to condoms, let alone information about prevention.  The healthcare

First, I agree with Mike's post to a large extent.  On the other hand, if we're
to guide those nations into being good customer states, this might be a good
investment.

But my real point is that I've read that international healthcare workers have
an abundance of condoms in Africa, ready to distribute, but it is so against
their culture to discuss, listen, or even think about sexuality in any kind of
an open sense, that the condom pushers are unable to give them away.

You can only lead the horse to water...

Chris