 Off-Topic / Debate / 5553
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 16:55:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
So all research for a cure for the millions of people who currently are HIV+
or have full blown AIDS should cease?  All research for maintenance drugs
should cease?

No, but Ed, you know that there are other diseases that kill people as well,
diseases that nobody can prevent from happening.  Several of them get funding
many times lower than AIDS mainly because they don't have high-profile
celebrities and other loud people lobbying for them.  Given the reality of the
situation, that is there is limited amount of money to fund these things, can
you be unbiased enough to see that it might be "unfair" for a disease that can
be prevented and that is, most of the time, contracted because of one sort of
behaviour or another, to receive several times (or more) funding than a
disease that someone gets because of some random cosmic quirk or genetic
predisposition?

None of these diseases have infected, and will kill, a quarter of the people in
many African countries.  Why is almost everyone ignoring this fact?  These
people are the reason we should try to find a cure.  I doubt many of them have
access to condoms, let alone information about prevention.  The healthcare
workers have a hard enough time trying to teach them about Malaria, which
they've been living with (and many have a natural resistance to, in the form of
Sickle Cell Anemia) for a lot longer time.

Jeff