 Off-Topic / Debate / 554
Re: Look, Larry, Todd, et al (was Re: TLG investigation and dynamics of bulk purchases)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:44:02 GMT

Jesse said:

I think anything that furthers understanding (if only of people's positions)
is good, even if the remaining 99% of the population has no interest in the
conversation.  If you want to be productive, then be productive.  If you
want to split hairs, then split hairs.  It's an open forum.

Agreed.

The only point I was making in presenting counter arguments is that if
there is a way to make easy money, sooner or later someone will find it.
It doesn't matter whether you think it's moral or ethical or not. It
doesn't even matter whether the government declares it illegal or not.
If the reward is high enough, relative to the risk, people will do it.
(1)

Relevance to TLG: Rules and regulations about who can and can't sell
will not work. TLG will have to make the piece price of any bulk sales
high enough that there is no money in repackaging (re-assorting, or
down-quantitying). But they can't make it SO high that there is money in
counterfeiting. Fortunately for them, that is a very wide band. Also
fortunately for them, I would not expect bulk pricing to be discounted
from set prices, but I would expect it to be a discount from some of the
very high (2) auction prices we've seen (2 dollars for a single window,
for instance) and I'd gladly pay it.

Mark, you can respond or not, but the point stands nonetheless. Todd and
I were just refuting in detail because you didn't seem to grasp the
broad brush concept here.

1 -  This of course explains why the drug war in the US is such an
abysymal failure. The more government does to fight drugs, the more it
raises the price of them, which increases the reward(2) at least at the
same rate it increases the risk if not more. Under the law of unintended
consequences, the cost to society from high priced drugs turns out to be
worse, too. Destroyed families, more income dissipated needlessly,
higher rates of incarceration, increased government corruption, poisoned
international relations, etc.

2 - The market WILL determine the price of a good, no matter what.
Restricting supply drives price up.  Government officials who don't get
this, or think it doesn't apply here, (3) are morons.

3 - that is, most of them.

++Lar