 Off-Topic / Debate / 5473
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:19:48 GMT

20% of the *adult* population, not just *male*.  As to the breakdown between
male and female, I don't know.  In India, I know it is spread through
prostitutes.  I'm not familiar with the primary vector in Africa.

OK, my bad, but it's still a horrifying statistic.

20% of your population is going to die soon.  Education isn't going to avert
absolute disaster at this point (though certainly needed).

No it's not, sadly, but that's why the medical funding needs to continue. What
I'm saying is that we need the education to prevent further infections,
otherwise people will continue to be infected through ignorance, a very sad
and silly situation. Who knows when there will be a breakthrough in AIDS
research? Until then people will continue to needlessly be infected and die.

Who says the population of these countries knew?  I'm asking - I don't have
the answer.

I certainly didn't, which is the whole basis of my argument. They need to
know, and know now. See my point below...

Now before I get flamed off the planet, for those
who don't know (young teenagers, students at Catholic schools, the greater
population of the Third World), we should be spending time and money on
EDUCATING them. Medical funding is great, we need it, but to ignore the
merrits of a proactive worldwide education campaign is to ignore half the
problem, and that's just bad policy.

This is fine to complain about, clearly education is desperately needed - but
are you sure that this isn't underway at the moment, or that this in part is
what Clinton is trying to promote?

I don't know the details of US domestic policy, I'm an Australian. We
certainly have a very unobtrusive and watered down education campaign underway
here. Ed Jones mentioned the fantastic effort Act-Up put in to get AIDS
research funding. It's long since past the time to get on the education
bandwagon. The wheels may be turning already. Clinton may have something up
his sleeve (other thhan another cigar), but it should have been in place long
ago.

Pete Callaway