 Off-Topic / Debate / 5406
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 06:13:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:

Why is AIDS such a big deal?

Oh, man, you are bringing up a topic that perhaps is more explosive than just
about any other in modern american society. I love it.

This is not going to make me any friends, but in my opinion the attention • AIDS
gets is a testimony to the power of certain special interest groups who want • it
to get more attention than other threats to longevity that actually are more
serious.

lots of snip,snip,snip...

Wow, for once, Larry, I actually agree with you! On all points! I hope this
isn't a continuing trend ;-)

Whilst the ill-informed will brand it a "gay disease", the fact that AIDS is
indiscriminate across the sexual spectrum makes it a real hot potato. Hetro's
blame Gays for introducing and spreading it, Gays blame Politicians for not
funding enough research, Politicians tip-toe round the tulips and engage in
Political Correctness wars with each other, and the Lawyers have a field day.

It is unfortunate that some elements of the Gay community want to claim
exclusive rights to AIDS (and all political clout which goes with it), and
politicians don't help matters with this "support" they give. My father had
many AIDS patients whilst he was a GP (he still is, he's just retired), and
very few of them were Gay. Most had contracted it from a blood transfusion,
and one person, a social worker, got it from a drug addict who jabbed her with
a needle whilst she was trying to help him. He thought it was funny at the
time.

AIDS research needs funding, but so does cancer research, cardiac research,
kidney research, and a whole host of other maladies which affect our fragile
bodies. AIDS only gets the spotlight because it has moved from being a medical
issue to a political issue. Nothing else.

Plus they had the political/lobbying machine already rolling with the Gay
Rights Movement. My father died from cardiac disease, my mother from cancer,
I'm sure everyone here has their own ideas about what should get what funding,
shaped from their own personal experience. If you really want to get onto
something that gets me going, start talking smoking-related diseases caused
by passive smoking, be it in the workplace or public spaces.

pete.w